Posted 3rd January, 2012 by Development and Environment Team
Australia generally has good weather and its people have an outdoor lifestyle, this is reflected in an increasing trend for establishment of footpath dining areas. Council is supportive of footpath dining areas and has developed this policy to encourage their establishment, streamline the approval process and reflect local circumstances.
The benefits of footpath dining areas include:
Make our towns more liveable and friendly and add life to the urban environment.
- Enhance social interaction.
- Help prevent street crime.
- Provide alternatives to indoor eating, especially for people who smoke.
- Boost trade for retailers.
- Add to a towns image and lifestyle.
The Dining Areas and Displays on Footpaths Policy addresses Council’s requirements for Outdoor Dining.