Friends of Tumut Wetlands
Posted 6th May, 2013 by Corporate Support Team
The Tumut wetlands is an area of approximately 20 ha located on the edge of Tumut township at the junction of Snowy Mountains Highway and Gocup Road with the Tumut River along the eastern side of the wetland. The area is Crown Land which was dedicated as a permanent Common on 18th November 1870. Tumut Council is Trustee of the Common.
From 1994 volunteers including Tom Scott have collated photographic and field records at the wetland which culminated in Mr Scott compiling the Management Concept Report for Tumut River Common in 2001 which was accepted by Council.
In 2003 Tumut Council engaged Janet Mackay and Associates to develop the Riverglade Wetlands Management Plan and in early 2004 Tumut Council were successful in their Environmental Trust grant submission for $98,500 for the Riverglade Wetland Rehabilitation project.
The Riverina Highlands Landcare Network invited interested members of the public to get involved with a wetlands working group. On the 15th October 2003 the group met for the first time, and a working agreement was formed with Council.
Aims of the Committee
- Assist Council in planning and implementing the Riverglade Wetland Management Plan 2003.
- To understand and respect the cultural heritage values of the site.
- To rehabilitate the degraded Tumut Wetlands and in doing so:
- Improve water quality and establish an appropriate hydrological regime
- Increase the quantity and improve the quality of native vegetation in the area of the wetlands, and to whatever extent that is possible, over the whole site
- Improve habitat for native animals, especially birds including migratory birds.
- Provide a distinctive recreational asset for the community which is consistent with the listed aims.
- Provide interpretive information on these values, including information on progress of the rehabilitation project.
Membership of the committee is open to all members of the public.
Contact by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone (02) 6941 2555
- Construction of main walking/cycle track of approximately 2km completed in 2006 including 2 steel pedestrian bridges.
- Construction of internal walking track of approximately 1km completed in 2007 including 1 steel pedestrian bridge.
- Installation of interpretive signage completed 2007.
Agendas & Minutes
|06/05/2013||Friends of Tumut Wetlands Committee Agenda - 21 May 2013||87kb|
|19/02/2013||Friends of Tumut Wetlands Committee Agenda - 19 February 2013||91kb|
|20/11/2012||Friends of Tumut Wetlands Committee Agenda - 20 November 2012||61Kb|
|14/08/2012||Friends of Tumut Wetlands Committee Agenda - 14 August 2012||60kb|
|14/02/2012||Friends of Riverglade Wetlands Committee Agenda - 14 February 2012||90kb|
|08/11/2011||Friends of Riverglade Wetlands Committee Agenda - 08 November 2011||272kb|
|09/08/2011||Friends of Riverglade Wetlands Committee Agenda - 9 August 2011||48kb|
|10/05/2011||Friends of Riverglade Wetlands Committee Agenda - 10th May 2011||1449kb|
|08/02/2011||Friends of Riverglade Wetlands Committee Agenda - 8 February 2011||2242kb|