Posted 3rd July, 2012 by Development and Environment Team
Burials in Tumut from circa 1866 were conducted in the Pioneer Cemetery on Adelong Road, however burials still occurred up to 1980s in family plots.A transcript of the Pioneer Cemetery is available at the Tumut Library.
The Pioneer Cemetery was not the first cemetery in Tumut, the first burial ground was in the vicinity of the original township at Mill Angle, now the showground and racecourse area. 2 acres of land was promised in 1854 by the Lands Department. In 1861 the Bishop of the Church of England consecrated the Tumut Cemetery.