Posted 2nd January, 2012 by Development and Environment Team
The Tumut valley had been known to Aborigines for many generations, but it was in 1824 that the area first became known to European Australians. Hamilton Hume and William Hovell, with six companions, crossed the Tumut River on 3 November, 1824 during their very significant journey of exploration to Port Philip.
Settlement followed quickly. The early village consisted of several buildings, including an inn, store and blacksmith, and in 1847 a private bridge was built over the river.
Based initially on pastoralism, the town’s economy soon included agriculture, though on a limited scale at first. Wheat growing led to the building of flour mills.
Development of Tumut and the surrounding region was further affected by gold mining in the late 1850’s, with the discovery of gold at Adelong and Kiandra. As well as benefiting from increased commercial activity, former diggers settled in the Tumut area boosting its population.