The Tumut wetlands is an area of approximately 20 ha located on the edge of Tumut township at the junction of Snowy Mountains Highway and Gocup Road with the Tumut River along the eastern side of the wetland. The area is Crown Land which was dedicated as a permanent Common on 18th November 1870. Tumut Council is Trustee of the Common.
From 1994 volunteers including Tom Scott have collated photographic and field records at the wetland which culminated in Mr Scott compiling the Management Concept Report for Tumut River Common in 2001 which was accepted by Council.
In 2003 Tumut Council engaged Janet Mackay and Associates to develop the Riverglade Wetlands Management Plan and in early 2004 Tumut Council were successful in their Environmental Trust grant submission for $98,500 for the Riverglade Wetland Rehabilitation project.
The Riverina Highlands Landcare Network invited interested members of the public to get involved with a wetlands working group. On the 15th October 2003 the group met for the first time, and a working agreement was formed with Council.
Aims of the Committee
Membership of the committee is open to all members of the public.
Contact by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone (02) 6941 2555
Agendas & Minutes