The history of Local Government in the Tumut area evolved as follows according to "People and Progress" written by Kevin Hedley.
The first election of Aldermen was conducted on 29th June, 1887, three days later Edward George Brown was unanimously elected as the first Mayor and the Tumut Municipal Council met in formal session on 8th July, 1887. That Council continued to conduct the affairs of the town of Tumut until 30th June, 1928 and on the following day its area became D Riding of the newly formed Tumut Shire Council.
In the meantime many rural areas of the State had become incorporated and during 1906 the Yarrangobilly Shire was proclaimed on 7th March, the Ridings were proclaimed and Councillors were appointed on 16th May, such appointments to take effect from 9th June.
The first election was held on 24th November and the first meeting was on 6th December. The name was changed to the Gadara Shire on the 13th February, 1907. That Council had a relatively short life as it too became part of the Tumut Shire Council on 1st July, 1928.
The area of Tumut Shire Council has remained unchanged until February, 2004 when the area known as the Brindabella Valley was transferred from the former Yarrowlumla Shire.