Building Information

Trades Forum

To further aid relations between Council and practitioners, Council conducts an annual Trades Forum. This is a two-way exchange of information, whereby staff and local trades people discuss changes, improvements and new developments in the industry as well as any recent internal policy changes. Typically conducted in July or August, this has proven to be a valuable event for all parties.

Inspections (PCA agreement)

The Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) is responsible for carrying out mandatory inspections of construction work and ensuring that the approved work is undertaken in accordance with the Development Consent, the plans and specifications approved under the Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate and all relevant building regulations.

The applicant may appoint either the Council or an Accredited Certifier as the Principal Certifying Authority. An Accredited Certifier, appointed as the PCA, has a similar role and responsibility as that of the Council.

The PCA must be appointed prior to any of the approved works commencing on site. Where Council is to be appointed as the PCA, it is preferable that Council's Principal Certifying Authority Service Agreement form, is submitted when first lodging the application.

Prior to works commencing on site, all applicants are required to ensure all "Prior to commencement" conditions are met. This includes any required preliminary works and the submission of the required "Notice of Commencement" form:

Notice of Commencement 

Your Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate will list the type and number of progress inspections required The following inspections are typically mandatory:

- After excavation for, and prior to the placement of, any footings.

- Prior to pouring any in-situ reinforced concrete building element.

- Prior to covering of the framework for any floor, wall, roof or other building element.

- Prior to covering waterproofing in any wet areas.

- Prior to covering any stormwater drainage connections.

- After the building work has been completed and prior to occupation of the building.

- The inspection of all water supply, sanitary drainage and sanitary plumbing work before covering or concealment.

Council requires a minimum of 24 hours’ notice prior to any inspection, please contact Council’s customer service officer on (02) 6941 2555 or by email. Please have your Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate application number handy.

An application for an Occupation Certificate shall be completed and returned to Council prior to any final inspection. Applicants are advised to ensure all prior to occupation / final inspection development consent conditions have been fulfilled prior to inspection.

Council fees for services such as inspections and approvals are detailed in the current adopted Fees and Charges Schedule. A fee calculator is located here:

Download the 2016-2017-ApplicationFeesCalculator 

At the completion of domestic residential development the installation of smoke alarms shall be certified by the licensed installer as compliant with the Australian Standard and the relevant provisions of the Building Code of Australia.

Council has prepared a standard Installation Certificate which may be used for this purpose.

Regulatory role

Council’s building department also continues to have a traditional regulatory role in enforcing provisions of the Local Government Act 1993 and other development related legislation. These include storm-water problems, development related difficulties, earthworks and retaining complaints among others.

Council actively encourages property owners to communicate one-to-one and discuss difficulties of this sort personally. It is accepted though, that this is not always possible and in this instance concerns of this nature should be forwarded to Council’s customer service officer on (02) 6941 2555 or by email.


"BASIX Certificate" The Building Sustainability Index (BASIX) is a web-based planning tool designed to assess the potential performance of residential buildings against a range of sustainability indices.

A BASIX Certificate identifies the sustainability features required to be incorporated in the building design. These features may include sustainable design elements such as recycled water, rainwater tanks, 3 star-rated showerheads and taps, native landscaping, heat pumps or solar water heaters, gas space heaters, roof eaves/awnings and wall/ceiling insulation.

BASIX applies to certain development types for BASIX affected buildings. BASIX affected building means any building that contains one or more dwellings, but does not include a hotel or motel. Commencement dates and details of types of development can be found at:

As at 01 July 2007, the following types of development require a BASIX Certificate:

(a) development that involves the erection (but not the relocation) of a BASIX affected building,

(b) development that involves a change of building use by which a building becomes a BASIX affected building,

(c) development that involves the alteration, enlargement or extension of a BASIX affected building, where the estimated construction cost of the development is: $50,000 or more,

(d) development for the purpose of a swimming pool or spa, or combination of swimming pools and spas, that services or service only one dwelling and that has a capacity, or combined capacity, of 40,000 litres or more.

The applicant is required to submit the BASIX Certificate with the Development Application or Complying Development Certificate application. The plans and specifications must also identify the BASIX commitments which will be checked by the certifier during construction.

Where submitted plans or specifications are inconsistent with the relevant BASIX Certificate, Council shall require applicants to submit consistent applications before progressing the assessment process, either by amending plans / specifications or by submitting a new BASIX Certificate with commitments that match the rest of the application.

Applicants can generate the BASIX Certificate only on the NSW Department of Planning' BASIX website:

For more information, phone the BASIX Help Line on 1300 650 908.

Development Application Lodgement Checklist

The minimum lodgement requirements for a Development Application and associated Construction Certificates are listed in Council’s lodgement checklists. These checklists may accessed here:

1. Checklist for combined DA-CC-dwellings and additions

2. Checklist for combined DA-CC-outbuildings

3. Checklist for combined DA-CC-Ind.or Commercial

(Note: this lodgement checklist is subject to change.)

Building Certificates 

Section 149B of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979 provides for the issuing of ‘Building Certificates’. A 149 Building Certificate operates to prevent Council, for a period of 7 years from the date of issue of the certificate:

1. - from making an order under this Act or the Local Government Act 1993 requiring the building to be repaired, demolished, altered, added to or rebuilt, and

2. - from taking proceedings in relation to any encroachment by the building onto land vested in or under the control of the council,  in relation to matters arising only from the deterioration of the building as a result solely of fair wear and tear.

It should be noted that Building Certificates are not equivalent to pre-purchase building inspection reports and may or may not make comment as to the condition of the building or compliance with current building codes and standards. Potential purchasers are encouraged to obtain their own independent advice in this regard.

Permission must be obtained from the owner of the property to carry out the inspection.

Council Officers will not carry out an inspection unattended.

The cost of a Building Certificate is charged at the current rate as per Council’s adopted Fees and Charges Schedule. (Commercial premises are calculated based on the area of the building.)

Download the Fees and Charges Schedule 2015-2016 for current fee schedule.