DCP – (Tumut Development Control Plan 2011)
The Need for Council Approval Tumut Shire Council regulates building and development in the whole of the shire eg; General Business, Industrial, residential, rural residential and rural areas on behalf of the community. Each Development Application (DA) is assessed on its merits using the relevant Development Control Plans and Local Environmental Plans together with State Environmental Planning Policies.

Development Control Plans contain guidelines affecting development proposals within the shire. They provide detailed guidelines for developers as well as others involved and interested in the development of the shire.

Tumut LEP 2012 

Tumut Shire is currently covered by Tumut LEP 2012.  The above link will give you access Tumut's most up to date LEP information via the NSW Legislation website.

If you are proposing to subdivide land you are required to lodge a development application (some minor boundary adjustments may be exempt – you will need to check with council).

As with most development applications, Council encourages pre-lodgment discussions with council staff.

Submitting a Subdivision Application

Checklist for Subdivision DA

Once the development application has been approved and the developer or applicant has satisfied the conditions of that consent, a subdivision certificate application (subdivision linen plan) can be lodged with council to be signed off ready for lodgment with the Land Titles Office to be registered.

It is important that consideration of the adequacy of compulsory services (e.g. telephone, gas, electricity and water and wastewater) is given early in the subdivision process.

Tumut Shire Council is the water & sewer authority.  It is a requirement of approval that a Section 305 certificate under the Water Management Act be obtained (if the development is in an area where these services are available.) Council’s procedure manuals require the Section 305 certificate application to be lodged with the development application.

You may arrange discussions with Council’s engineering staff by contacting Assets Administrative Officer (see contacting council). In most cases, there will be a “Developer Contribution” to be paid for accessing Council’s infrastructure and it is important that any intending developer be aware of this cost in the early stages to prevent false expectations regarding the cost of subdividing land.

For telecommunications you should contact “Telstra Smart Community”:


For Gas & Electricity


Developer Information Sheets

In rural areas consideration needs to be given to “Planning for Bush Fire Protection” if the land is within what is considered a bush fire prone area (Council can identify bushfire prone land on their mapping system.)  If the land is bush fire prone the development application is integrated development and will have to be referred to NSW Rural Fire Service for consideration.  This will require an additional fee of $320 made payable to NSW Rural Fire Service.

Website to visit :  www.rfs.nsw.gov.au