Roaming Cat - There are no restrictions on cats roaming other than in prohibited areas such as wildlife areas or food preparation/consumption areas as outlined in the Companion Animals Act. Cats can however be a nuisance if they continue to wander onto other people’s properties.

Stray Cat - There is no definition for stray cat in the Companion Animals Act. However; under the law, if you feed it and create a circumstance of continuity, such as continuing to feed it and it keeps coming to your house, you are considered to be the owner.

 Nuisance Cat - The Companion Animals Act defines nuisance in relation to cats as:

1.    makes a noise that persistently occurs or continues to such a degree or extent that it unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience or any person in any other premises, or

2.    repeatedly damages anything outside the property on which it is ordinarily kept

If an authorised officer of Council is satisfied that a cat is a nuisance, the owner of the cat can be issued with a nuisance order.

Cat attacking - Under Section 32 of the Companion Animals Act a person may lawfully seize a cat if that action is reasonable or necessary for the protection of any person or animal, other than vermin, from injury or death. Any cat seized or trapped must be returned to the owner (if known) or delivered to an authorised officer or to the Tumut Shire Council Animal pound.

Nothing in Section 32 authorises a contravention of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979.

Cat cages are available through Council for problem cats. Call 02 6941 2555 to arrange for a cat cage. (Refundable deposit required)

Council encourages owners to keep their cat indoors and in an enclosure outside.This will keep your cat safe and protect the wildlife.

Further enquires on 02 6941 2555.